A dear friend of mine is going on her very first solo trip in just a week. After having traveled solo a fair amount and having encountered a great variety of issues on the road, here is some advice I provided...
For safety and peace of mind, I:
- Scan my passport and send myself a copy in my own email. Then I can print it out no matter what happens, from any internet cafe.
- Get travel insurance. It's inexpensive and protects when there are flight problems, illness or lost luggage. Worst case, it also provides medical evacuations.
- Visit an internet cafe every couple of days to let someone know where I am and that everything is okay. (This is particularly important when traveling in a less predictable path. If there is a more predictable travel plan, sending an itinerary to friends is also a good idea. I pick a couple of people and designate them as my contact points!)
- Call my credit card company ahead of time so they don't block charges
- Get a traveler belt from REI . It's a web belt with a little inside zipper pouch. I store just emergency cash, a few phone numbers and a copy of my passport in there.